Given our theme for this year, I thought that it might be useful to share some of the quotes that he offered on "engagement."
- Coleridge, 1817: Engagement is a "willing suspension of disbelief."
- Nell, 1988: It's to be "lost" (as in a book).
- Janet Murray in her 1997 book Hamlet on the Holodeck: Engagement is to "confront questions of human existence."
- Bolter and Grusin in their 1999 book Remediation: Engagement is an "authentic emotional experience."
- Green and Brock, 2000: Engagement is to be "emotionally involved."
I look forward to seeing your definitions of engagement in your SIGCSE 2009 submissions, due this coming Friday, August 29!